View all posts

The top 20 Ferromanganese (HCFeMn) producers in the world

High-carbon ferromanganese (HCFeMn) is one of the most widely used ferroalloy in the world. In the following, the top 20 producers (excl. China and India) of high-carbon ferromanganese (HCFeMn) in 2019 will be listed with the respective amount produced. Moreover, a map with the production companies' respective production plants is showcased.

Market Insights

Standard ferromanganese, also known as high-carbon ferromanganese (HC FeMn) is a manganese alloy, smelted directly from manganese ores. Its manganese content ranges from 70-80 wt% and its carbon content from 6-7 wt%. It is the most-used ferroalloy in terms of quantity and its applications are mostly steel production (90%), with the remaining 10% being used in foundries and welding. Ferromanganese alloys are produced by carbothermic reduction of ores containing iron and manganese oxide in a smelting-reduction furnace. During the production process, slags with a high content of manganese oxide are formed, which can be refined in further process steps to ferro-silicon manganese, low-carbon ferro-manganese (LC FeMn) or to manganese metal.


Below is a worldmap with the location of the companies' respective production plants.


In the following, a list of the 20 biggest high-carbon ferromanganese producers and their annual production will be presented. The list does not include companies in China and India, as the production there is widely dispersed. 

Company Produced volume (t)Country Public/Private
Nippon Denko co. ltd. 331,980 JapanPublic
Sakura Ferroalloys SDN BHD 258,000 Malaysia Private
South32180,000AustraliaPublic
Assmang170,000South Africa Public
FerroGlobe PLC 168,910UKPublic
Satka Metallurgical Mill164,270RussiaPublic
Autlan S.A.B. de C.V.*157,000MexicoPublic
OM Sarawak SDN. BHD.151,670MalaysiaPrivate
KG DongBu Steel150,350South KoreaPublic
Vale*145,000BrazilPrivate (state-owned)
Maringa Ferro-liga S.A.*100,000BrazilPublic
Kosaya Gora Iron Works PJSC89,300RussiaPublic
Eramet SA73,060FrancePublic
JSC Nikopol ferro-alloys plant (NZF)41,800UkrainePublic
Zaporozhye ferro-alloys plant (PJSC)39,440UkrainePublic
OFZ, a.s., Istebné31,800SlovakiaPrivate
FMC Faryab Mining Company30,000IranN/A
Chelyabinsk Electrometallurgical Plant24,030RussiaPrivate
Sinai Manganese Company 12,000EgyptPrivate
Kerman Ferro Alloys 12,000IranN/A

* HC FeMn + SiMn production impossible to separate


Companies like Eramet, Autlan, and Satka are already trading on our Metalshub platform. Digitalise your metals procurement and sales process now. Find out how the Metalshub platform is able to help you reach new Ferromanganese customers and find new Ferromanganese suppliers. Book a demo and be part of the 1,100 companies that are already on board.
Metalshub also provides the most accurate price indices in the industry for high-carbon ferromanganese and other materials.

About Metalshub

Metalshub is one of the pioneers of digital transformation in the metals industry. The software start-up was founded in 2016 in Düsseldorf by Dr. Sebastian Kreft and Dr. Frank Jackel with the vision of connecting companies in the industry with a digital platform. Digital supply chains can help reduce costs and CO2 emissions. More than 1,100 companies are already using Metalshub, including more than 200 foundries and steel mills that have digitised their purchasing processes with Metalshub. In 2020, more than $300 million in purchasing volume was concluded through Metalshub.


Get an overview of the Metalshub platform now.

Book a Demo